RE: Passwords in the Clear

Hi Paul,

I accept that the reference to the WS-I document provides useful
balance, and that allowance is given to the TLS approach.

Looking at this in more detail, I have a related comment on the TAG
document.

Your cited message [1] contains a statement:

"Given the work of the W3C on web services, can Section 2.1 [1] point at
the use of WS-Security [3] for securing SOAP messages including any
passwords that might be supplied in clear text? [my emph: AG]"

which is then reflected in the TAG text as follows:

"2.2 SOAP Based transmissions

SOAP communicates over HTTP and is subject to similar password security
concerns. While SSL/TSL can be used to secure SOAP-based messages point
to point, the issue can be more complex if SOAP intermediaries are used.
The TAG's position on SOAP remains consistent: that passwords and
sensitive information MUST be transmitted in a secure manner and not as
clear text. [my emph: AG] If confidential information is to be sent as
part of the SOAP package, publishers SHOULD either use SSL/TLS or XML
Encryption for sensitive data elements [my emph: AG]. Further
information on security for SOAP messages can be found in Security
Challenges, Threats and Countermeasures Version 1.0 [WSI] or on the
OASIS Web Services Security TC home page[WSS]."

But, WS-Security Username Token provides a means (PasswordDigest: SHA-1
hash) of securely concealing a password during transit. It is not clear
why TLS or XML Encryption would be needed to achieve password
concealment.

Equally, and directly related, I do not understand the following
statement in the Username Token Profile spec (Section 3.1, ll 159 -162):

"Passwords of type PasswordDigest are defined as being the Base64
[XML-Schema] encoded, SHA-1 hash value, of the UTF8 encoded password (or
equivalent). However, unless this digested password is sent on a secured
channel or the token is encrypted, the digest offers no real additional
security over use of wsse:PasswordText."

But SHA-1 one-way digest is significantly more secure than plaintext.
This is not a mere encoding (in the manner of base64 encoding in Basic
Auth), but, as the name suggests, a secure hash algorithm.

Alastair