Re: Draft minutes of TAG telcon 13 Sep 2005

Just minor detail: my name is listed twice under "Present".
For the rest, these minutes give an excellent summary of
our discussion with Paul.
Thanks, Norm.

Vincent.

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:43:38 -0400 Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM> wrote:

> Draft minutes published:
> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2005/09/13-minutes.html
>
>                                    - DRAFT -
>
>                                  W3C TAG telcon

>    Agenda
>
>    See also: IRC log
>
> Attendees
>
>    Present
>            PaulStrong, Vincent, Norm, Ed, Vincent, DanC, DOrchard
>
>    Regrets
>            TimBL, HT, NM, Roy
>
>    Chair
>            Vincent
>
>    Scribe
>            Norm
>
> Contents
>
>      * Topics
>          1. Administrivia
>          2. Discussion of GRID
>          3. Edinburgh Face-to-Face
>      * Summary of Action Items
>
>      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>    <scribe> Scribe: Norm
>
>    <scribe> ScribeNick: Norm
>
>   Administrivia
>
>    Most of today is for GRID discussions
>
>    Accept minutes of last telcon:
>    http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2005/09/06-minutes.html
>
>    Accepted (Vincent will remove "DRAFT").
>
>   Discussion of GRID
>
>    Thanks to Paul Strong for joining us
>
>    This is an informal discussion of GRID and it's connection to the Web
>
>    Paul: Paul Strong is a Systems Architect at Sun. Works in the N1 product
>    group. N1 is a suite of products that leverage the GRID
>    ... Grid is a somewhat ambiguous term being widely used by vendors
>    ... Within N1, I've been working on products for about five years. Mostly
>    working on data center and enterprise applications
>    ... Recommends July issue of ACM Queue
>    ... GRID is a view of the networking infrastructure
>    ... It's a view of computing resources that are pervasive. It's more about
>    the platform than the end-user applications
>
>    <DanC> (hm... http://www.sun.com/software/gridware/index.xml Sun N1 Grid
>    Engine 6 ... seems to be a hunk of hardware. I thought maybe N1 was a
>    service.)
>
>    Paul: GRID really is about recognizing two trends: growth in network
>    bandwidth, and network distributed services
>    ... GRID platform offers scalability, redundancy, ...
>    ... Needs services for distributing and managing work loads
>    ... Analogous to an electrical grid, in the sense that it's pervasive and
>    more-or-less uniform
>
>    <DanC> (hmm... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_computing "The SETI@home
>    project, launched in 1999, is a widely-known example of a simple grid
>    computing project." )
>
>    DanC: Sun N1 Grid seems to be a hunk of hardware...
>
>    Paul: The N1 products are a mixture of both hardware and services
>    ... Software is a meta-operating environment. Those products are called N1
>    ... They're closely tied to a set of hardware to run them on at Sun. The
>    result is an integrated set of components. You no longer care about
>    individual servers or OS instances.

> [...]

Vincent Quint                       INRIA Rhône-Alpes
e-mail: Vincent.Quint@inria.fr      655 avenue de l'Europe
Fax:  +33 4 76 61 52 07             38334 Saint Ismier Cedex
                                    France