Re: TAG Request for Change to WS Addressing Core

Thank you, Noah; I'll record this as a CR issue and instigate
discussion in the WG.

For my information, could you give an indication of the nature and
scope of "other aspects of TAG issue endPointRefs-47," and when you
expect to resolve them (even in rough terms)? This will help plan our
future work.

Kind regards,

On 25/10/2005, at 3:15 PM, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Promoting effective use of the World Wide Web is of course the
> raison d'être of the W3C and of the TAG in particular.  So, it's
> worth some care to ensure that every W3C Recommendation integrates
> well with the Web.  The use of a single naming mechanism (URI) for
> all resources is key to the network effects that underly the
> extraordinary success of the Web[1], and so the TAG pays particular
> attention to ensuring that Recommendations make appropriate use of
> URIs.
>
> WSA End Point References [2] contain an [address] property which is
> a URI [3], but the TAG is concerned that other non-URI properties
> will also sometimes be used for resource identification.  We also
> have come to understand that there are practical reasons why the
> Web Services community finds XML-based, QNamed parameters to be
> powerful and convenient, and that those advantages sometimes extend
> to their use for identification.  For example, we are aware that
> there is a large body of widely deployed software that aids in the
> creation and processing of SOAP headers, including those resulting
> from bound EPR parameters.  Taking all these factors together, the
> TAG today resolved to ask that the Web Services Addressing Working
> Group include the following note in a suitable section of the Web
> Services Addressing 1.0 - Core Proposed Recommendation:
>
> -----
> Note: Web Architecture dictates that resources should be identified
> with URIs.  Thus, use of the abstract properties of an EPR other
> than wsa:address to identify resources is contrary to Web
> Architecture.  In certain circumstances, use of such additional
> properties may be convenient or beneficial, perhaps due to the
> availability of QName-based tools.  When building systems that
> violate this principle, care must be taken to weigh the tradeoffs
> inherent in deploying resources that are not on the Web.
> -----
>
> We hope that this strikes a reasonable balance between promoting
> effective use of the Web, and recognizing the other factors that
> appropriately contribute to design and implementation choices.
> FYI, discussion of other aspects of TAG issue endPointRefs-47 [4]
> is ongoing.  We welcome followup discussion on the public www-
> tag@w3.org mailing list.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Noah Mendelsohn
> For the W3C Technical Architecture Group
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#uri-benefits
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/CR-ws-addr-core-20050817/#eprs
> [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/CR-ws-addr-core-20050817/#eprinfomodel
> [4] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#endPointRefs-47