Re: EndpointRefs-47

noah_mendelsohn writes:

> Henry Thompson writes:
>
>> The suggestion made at the f2f, as I understood it, was to
>> allow only the prefixes which were bound in the WSDL
>> description identified by the primary URI, i.e. http://example.
>> com/fabrikam/acct.
>
> This seems to make the association of EPRs to URIs dependent on a
> particular WSDL file.  While it's true that many users of WSA will also
> use WSDL, I don't think that's required, and I don't think it should be
> required.

I am going to have to step back from this discussion until Tim BL or
Dan C can recover more than I have been able to of our discussion in
Edinburgh.  I thought the story which excited them at that time
depended on there being a reliably-shared source of namespace
declarations == prefix bindings at the end of the primary URI.  If
that's not plausible, I agree the story fails.

Given that the original discussion was in the context of WSRF, is
it perhaps the case that WSRF does _require_ a WSDL document, or else
requires some _other_ document which equally reliably provides the
relevant declaration/binding.

noah_mendelsohn writes:

> You wind up pretty close to a situation where the only actor that
> really understands the URI is the server that minted it, in which
> case it's not clear why globally unique naming of the parameters is
> of great value at all.  If the server knows the WSDL, then
> presumably it can use:
>
>     http://example.com/fabrikam/acct?parm1=412
>
> since it knows that the WSDL calls for only one parameter anyway.
>
> I presume that the WSA folks are using globally unique parameter names for
> a reason, and I'm not yet convinced that grounding the URI mappings in a
> WSDL file is appropriate.

My understanding was that problem this approach solved was when a WSDL
document imported some widely-used sharable artefact which defined
e.g. an {http://www.example.org/WidelyUsed/PhysicsParams/}ExperimentCode
reference param. . .

But again, I'm hoping the originally enthusiastic participants can
reconstruct the basis for their enthusiasm -- I'm just trying to
provoke them!

ht
- --
                     Half-time member of W3C Team