Re: Draft minutes of 18-October-2005 TAG Telcon

On Oct 18, 2005, at 6:06 PM, Tyler Close wrote:
> In the minutes, Roy Fielding tries to reproduce the test case and says
> that Safari does not send the extra "../" path segments. I also tried
> this test and got different results from Roy.
>
> Using Safari 1.3.1 (v312.3.1) on Mac OS X Version 10.3.9 Build 7W98

That is identical to my setup.

> I typed "http://localhost/foo/../../../" into the address bar. Safari
> automatically changed this to "http://localhost/../".

Heh, you are right -- I only tried variations of

    "/foo/../../.."

which is parsed correctly (and sent to the server as "/"), but
the addition of a slash on the end does result in "/../" being
sent to the server by Safari.

> Both Firefox and IE, produced the request Roy Fielding described. Only
> Safari sent the extra "../" path segment.

In any case, the point I was making on the call is that the source
of the background information about this case is not reliable
and that the W3C should get the actual facts straight before
making an issue out of it.  I have no idea what those facts may be
and am not comfortable with advocacy based on speculation.

....Roy