Re: TAG opinion on XML Binary Format

Your collective analysis agrees with our thinking to a large extent.
What is unclear is the implication for next steps.  You note that "more
detailed analysis is needed", "further careful analysis is needed before
the W3C commits to a direction", "we suggest that a quantitative
analysis is necessary", "representative binary technologies be
benchmarked and analyzed", and "the TAG would like to see the above
issues addressed".  It is unclear how you expect to proceed or how you
expect "us" to proceed to accomplish this in a coherent, timely, and
effective way.  "We" expected that these were activities to be performed
in the early stages of a new working group.  Our documents were
prepared, secondarily, for those purposes.  If you (collectively) have
something else in mind, please enlighten us to both to your pending
options and recommendations and our options.

Our documents should have made it clear that our conclusion is that one
format could support all use cases well, although in some sense
different modes will need to be supported (for example, a range of
self-contained on one extreme and limited structure, externally typed,
range restricted binary scalars on the other).  To make the coherency of
this clear, it is probable that both extremes might be needed in a
single instance.  I would be happy to elaborate.  We expected to start
with consideration of multiple strategies, but produce a result that
would be the best of all available ideas.

I was particularly thrilled by this paragraph:
"Benchmark environments should be as representative as possible of fully
optimized implementations, not just of the XML parser, but of the
surrounding application or middleware stack.  We note that different
application-level optimizations may be necessary to maximize the
performance of the Binary or text cases respectively.  Care should
especially be taken to ensure that the performance of particular APIs
such as DOM or SAX does not obscure the performance possible with either
option (e.g. both SAX and DOM can easily result in high overhead string
conversions when UTF-8 is used.)"

This is exactly where my thinking is.

Email message format note: You inadvertantly made all of your paragraphs
preformatted ("<pre>....</pre>") which made it painful to read.  Your
email editor has a bug if it didn't show this to you while editing.

Thanks!
sdw

--
swilliams@hpti.com http://www.hpti.com Per: sdw@lig.net http://sdw.st