Re: Potential new TAG issue: Content Selection for Device Independence (DISelect) 1.0

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 11:18 -0400, Elliotte Harold wrote:
> Content Selection for Device Independence (DISelect) 1.0 is now in last
> call. You can find the draft here:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-cselection-20050502/
>
> It seems to me that this spec massively violates section 4.3 of the
> Architecture of the World Wide Web, "Separation of Content,
> Presentation, and Interaction". Briefly this new spec suggests mixing
> attributes and elements that select content based on device capabilities
> directly into the page markup. That is, you do not provide separate
> stylesheets for PDAs, TVs, print, and so forth. Instead the document
> itself contains markup like the following:

>      & dc:cssmq-color() > 0" >
>    <object src="cat.png"/>
>
> This says that the picture cat.jpg should be shown but only if the
> device is color and has more than 500 pixels width. I have no particular
> objection to writing stylesheets that tailor the display of content to
> particular device profiles. Possibly a new stylesheet language is needed
> to enable this.
>
> My concern is that the current approach makes the details tailored to
> each device profile part of the document itself, rather than in a
> separate stylesheet.

I trust you'll let us know when you're done discussing this with
the DI WG. I see you raised it there.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-diselect-editors/2005AprJun/0004.html

I think section 4.3 of the arch doc actually discusses a number
of approaches...

| There is a recombination spectrum, with "client does all" at one
| end and "server does all" at the other.
|
| There are advantages to each approach. ...
 -- http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-webarch-20041215/#pci

I'm looking for discussion of the  "send color TV signal and let
the b&w TVs ignore it" approach; I don't see it just now.

Anyway... you don't seem to be asking for a new issue; the relevant
TAG issue is
  http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#contentPresentation-26
(hmm... it's not marked as closed, but I think section 4.3 addresses
it pretty well; I wonder if that's a bookkeeping error) and
you seem to be questioning whether the Content Selection spec
is in line with the Web Architecture Recommendation.

I don't see a new issue yet, but I'm interested to see how the
discussion between you and the WG turns out.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E