RE: httpRange-14: some dimensions of space of positions

Hello Henry,

> 3) Stipulate that we should differentate, then the further
> question arises as to how to do so.  I have identified three
> kinds of signal one could use, there may well be others:
>
> Feature 3: Signal -- Either use *far context* (e.g. information in the
>                                              relevant schema)
>                      or *near context* (e.g. the name of the enclosing
>                                       element or attribute in the
>                                       XML representation, c.f. Topic
Maps
>                                       resourceRef vs.
subjectIndicatorRef)
>                      or *internally* (e.g. # convention, tdb: and wpn:
>                                     proposals)

I've just been reflecting on this and wonder where you have missed one
further possible alternative, which is information arising from an
attempt to dereference. In the case of http (which is what we are
speaking of) the status code and http headers (eg. Content-type and
Location) may be informing. Harry Halpin mentions in one of his messages
the notion of a 404+ [1]. I have also wondered about the legitmacy of
using a 30x redirection that redirects to a distinct information
resource which describes or depicts (rather than represents) what was
originally referenced. Tim BL also mentions this possiblity briefly in
[2].

"Near-context" and "internal" approaches can of course be 'resolved'
without further retrival. "Far context" and "dereferencing" may not be
resolvable from the reference and/or its surrounding context alone.

One other thought is that there may be more than one answer... in that a
strategy to resolve an ambiguity might be multi-faceted.

Regards

Stuart
--
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Apr/0097