Re: Review of "Storing Data in Documents"

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 12:04 +0000, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> I took an action [1] to review this [2] document from Dan Connolly,
> which is intended as background for/input to a finding wrt issue
> RDFinXHTML [3].
>
> I think it's a good start, and a useful summary of the background.

Thanks...

> think it would benefit from adding a bit more about the possibility
> opened up by the GRDDL approach of using 'vernacular' or 'colloquial'
> XML to include metadata in XHTML and other documents.

I did some work on that today, but in the spec rather than in this
draft finding...

http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#ns-bind
revision 1.53 date: 2004/12/07 23:19:58

I think there's a couple more wrinkles to explain explicitly,
but that's as far as I got today... I had a lot of stuff to
swap in and catch up on...

> GRDDL as currently implemented supports this, and allows for the
> mapping to be stated on a per language basis via annotations in a
> (RDF/W3C XML) Schema document as well as on a per-document basis via
> the
>
>    xmlns:data-view="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view#"
>    data-view:interpreter="...xsl"
>
> mechanism.
>
> The binding of metadata extraction information at the language level
> is also an obvious application of work at Edinburgh on schema-based
> databinding reported at XML 2001 [4] and Extreme 2003 [5], and the
> SWAD project has pursued this to some extent, although the only thing
> I find that comes close in their reports uses a slightly different
> technology [6].

Yes, the finding should compare and contrast other schema annotation
approaches.

I added a @@TODO in http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/specbg.html
$Revision: 1.14 $ of $Date: 2005/03/22 23:53:28 $ by $Author: connolly $

> ht
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2005/02/22-tagmem-minutes#action05
> [2] http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/specbg.html
> [3] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#RDFinXHTML-35
> [4] http://www.idealliance.org/papers/xml2001/papers/html/06-03-04.html
> [5] http://www.idealliance.org/papers/extreme03/html/2003/Thompson01/EML2003Thompson01.html
> [6] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/xslt_schematron_tool/
D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E