Re: lack of ubiquitous lookup for URN NIDs leads to sloppy use [URNsAndRegistries-50]

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 23:33 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
> I just discovered...
>
> <definitions name="GoogleSearch" targetNamespace="urn:GoogleSearch">
>  -- http://api.google.com/GoogleSearch.wsdl
>
> urn:GoogleSearch isn't registered.
>   http://www.iana.org/assignments/urn-namespaces
>
> I'm pretty sure google would be embarrassed to use
> an HTTP URI with an unregistered DNS domain... why aren't
> they embarrassed to use an unregistered URN namespace identifier?
>
> I think the fact that the lookup mechanisms for DNS names,
> and hence http/ftp URIs, are ubiquitous creates a useful
> pressure to not use bogus names. The pressure doesn't
> seem to be there for URN namespaces, and the only way I can
> see that pressure increasing is if URNs duplicate the
> functionality of http... or at least if URNs get connected
> to *some* communications protocol that causes bogus names
> to get noticed routinely.

Hmm... the anti-pattern seems to apply to URI schemes too...

<operation name="getWind">
<soap:operation
soapAction="capeconnect:AirportWeather:com.capeclear.weatherstation.Station#getWind"/>

--
http://www.capescience.com/webservices/airportweather/AirportWeather.wsdl

Not to mention the over-use of POST...

  print AirportWeather.getTemperature("KLAX")
   -- http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/WebServices/SWSAPI/pytut

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E