Re: Draft minutes of 15 March 2005 Telcon

On Wednesday, March 16, 2005, 7:54:21 PM, Robin wrote:

RB> noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

>> DO: I thought that one of the interesting presentations at the workshop
>> from Sun analyzed not just message size (and thus network overhead) but
>> also what was happening in the processor.
>> ... A lot of time was spent in the binding frameworks.
>> ... Even if you came along and doubled the network performance by
>> halving the size, you might get only 1/3 of improvement

RB> Yes, if you're doing a lot of other things that aren't XML, then
RB> speeding up XML won't help. But when you're rendering an SVG document
RB> and the vast majority of your time is spent waiting for the network and
RB> parsing the XML, then you know there's going to be speedup.

Some of the things people were spending time on were XML-related. For
example UTF-8 to UTF-16 conversion (to create a DOM) or assigning data
types with schema to make a PSVI.

If a binary format already has the PSVI information and speeds up the
production of a DOM (or obviates the need to construct a separate data
structure to implement the DOM APIs eficiently, might be a better way of
putting it) that would result in a significant speedup.

It might not be measured in x times smaller or x times faster to parse,
though. But it would show up in transactions-per-second measurements.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead