RE: [schemeProtocols-49] New issue on relationship of URI schemes to protocols and operations

I'm not sure how much you're reading into the description.
The "access method" for "cid:" and "mid:" are well understood
outside of any particular context, it's only that the method
is only invokable in some contexts. I think they'd work inside
any number of contexts, though.

And the interpretation of "data:" doesn't depend at all
on the context.

I think the text you're quoting was removed from the updated
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hansen-2717bis-2718bis-uri-guideli
nes-03.txt

and replaced with more general advice for "2.3 Well-Defined"

   While URIs may or may not be useful as locators in practice, a URI
   scheme definition itself should be clear as to how it is expected to
   function.  Schemes that are not intended to be used as locators
   should still describe how the resource indicated can be identified by
   software that obtains a URI of that scheme.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net