RE: [schemeProtocols-49] New issue on relationship of URI schemes to protocols and operations

> * What in general is the relationship of URI schemes to the protocols used

> to move information through the Web?  We know that it's not a 1:1
> relationship because, URI's employing schemes such as ftp: can be used in
> the Request-URI of an HTTP protocol message (for convenience, I'm
> including the ":" with scheme names to make clearer when I'm referring to
> schemes and when to protocols.)

Don't confuse "the protocol you might use" with the "actual meaning
of the URI". A "ftp:" URI is defined to *mean* something having
to do with the FTP protocol. There is nothing in the "ftp:" URI
scheme definition that makes any reference to the meaning having
any roots in HTTP.  The fact that you might, in some circumstances,
decide to use the HTTP protocol to resolve a "ftp:" URI doesn't change
the URIs meaning.