Re: More on distinguishing information resources from other resources

Henry S. Thompson wrote:

>_Beethoven's Symphony No. 6_:
> http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rmhttp/radio3/symphony6_beethoven_radio3.mp3

Actually, that may be enough to some people, but not to all. Who's the
director? Which orchestra? What recording date? Besides, this is an MP3
representation, generated by some individual at some bitrate; there
might be others. There might also be an SACD or DVD version. The CD may
have been remastered from AAD to ADD. It may be in the public domain and
come from multiple labels (EMI, DG, ...). What about the original
recording tape? What does uniquely define this symphony after all? A
printed music sheet? The original manuscript? What if there are several,
like in Bruckner's case? What about transcriptions? We all know
intuitively what Beethoven's 6th Symphony is, we can all recognize the
tune, and yet can't quite point to it so precisely. (This is why
hyperlinks matter.)

But Roy may be right, this may be best left to the responsability of the
document author, not the architecture. The RDF representation of the
above resource may be quite long; but a shorter (hierarchical?) version
may suffice to most people.

JJ.