Re: TAG directions

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 03:44:24PM -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Substantial investments are being made in fielding web
> service technologies for mission critical systems including
> homeland security.  The statement 'this is hard' from the
> mail cited below is not convincing given that web services
> are being fielded.  It may be the case that no obstacles
> to their implementation that challenge the architecture
> have been presented, so no actions are required (ie,
> works fine with OFWeb).

Hah! 8-)

I have to agree with Len though, I'd like to see the TAG spend some time
on Web services.  To date, there's been some great input on specific
issues such as support for GET in SOAP 1.2, but no general examination
of the architectural assumptions made by Web services, such as answering
their raison-d'etre question, "Is an architecture premised on the
concept of services exposing interfaces specific to their purpose,
necessary or desirable?".  Or alternately, "In what cases does the
uniform interface of HTTP not suffice as a network based services
model?".

Also, to Noah's note, I don't think the Semantic Web needs much in the
way of attention from the TAG.  It is, IMHO (and I've spent a
considerable amount of time evaluating it), largely consistent with Web
architecture and even REST, save for a couple of relatively minor
issues[1][2] (at least when compared with those facing Web services,
IMO).  On the other hand, there may well be other issues that my
investigations haven't identified...

Cheers,

 [1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#httpRange-14
 [2] http://esw.w3.org/topic/RdfAndMediaTypes