RE: Potential new TAG issue: Numeric LocalPart of QName held inattribute value

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:14:47 -0400
To: Misha Wolf <Misha.Wolf@reuters.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Misha Wolf writes:

> We have considered this approach but are concerned
> that masses of software expect, say, the GICS code
> for Oil & Gas Exploration & Production to be
> "10102020".  If we tell people to use "_10102020"
> instead, we are likely to give such software
> indigestion.

Am I correct that such software is also likely to work correctly only on
the first of the following two equivalent forms?

   I.  <e demoAttr="3" xmlns="http://example.org/demoNs"/>

   II.  <e demoAttr="p:3" xmlns:p="http://example.org/demoNs"/>

Whatever the other pros and cons of QNames, it seems to me that you should
use them properly and consistently if they are used at all.  I'm not clear
on why Dan's suggestion of:

   I'. <e demoAttr="_3" xmlns="http://example.org/demoNs"/>

is harder for legacy software than II. above, and you're presumably
committed to supporting that in any case?

Thanks.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation