Re: RDDL->RDF (was Re: Draft agenda of 22 February 2005 TAG

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 08:55 +0000, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
[...]
>   For example,
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.html.

Hmm... OK... I get the following statements
(converted to turtle syntax
http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/2004/01/turtle/
for clarity)

     @prefix : <#> .
     @prefix ns1: <http://www.rddl.org/purposes#> .

    :DTD     a
<http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/application/xml-dtd>;
         ns1:validation <XMLSchema.dtd> .

    :xmlschema     a <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema>;
         ns1:schema-validation <XMLSchema.xsd> .

    :xmlschemap1     a <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4>;
         ns1:normative-reference
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PER-xmlschema-1-20040318/> .

(a) why are the subjects of these statements different?
They should have a common subject, right?
Does XLink say what URI is the other end of the link
in these cases? the XLink terminology seems to
be 'starting resource'...

Hmm...
 [Definition: A local resource is an XML element that participates in a
link by virtue of having as its parent, or being itself, a linking
element].

that makes it sound like link resources are syntactic
elements. I would have thought that the subject
(aka starting resource?) in this case is the XML Schema
namespace. The RDDL spec talks about "related resource"s.
Related _to what_?

(b) using an IANA media-types registry entry as an RDF Class...
hmm... I wonder if IANA means it to be a class. Perhaps
better to use rddl:nature as the predicate there rather
than rdf:type.

Trying it on http://www.rddl.org/ itself, I see those
issues plus a syntax error...

  <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://www.rddl.org/#related.resources">

    <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" />
    <rdf:resource rdf:resource="rddl2rdf.xsl" />
  </rdf:Description>

Using rdf:resource as a property element isn't allowed.
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#propertyElementURIs

I haven't figured out whether that problem comes from
the input or the transformation.

There also seem to be some (documented) limitations in handling
of URI references...

<!--
	note: assume xlink:arcrole := absoluteURI  '#' fragment-id
-->

p.s.

> Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 17:17 +0000, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> >> Further to Item 1.1.3: Review action items 7 Feb [1]:
> >>
> >>   ACTION: Henry to produce a RDDL1 to RDF Style sheet or explain why not
> >>
> >> I find that Jonathan Borden produced such a stylesheet over four years
> >> ago [2].  I tried it, it seems to work.
> >
> > I'm curious... tried it with what? I forget which input syntax it
> > expects. I'll try to get swapped back in, but any help you can provide
> > is welcome.
>
> Any RDDL document.

Ummm... the TAG has looked at a number of RDDL designs.
The "current" one, by some measure of current, is
  http://www.tbray.org/tag/rddl4.html
and given that document as input, [2] doesn't work; it gives...

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!--RDF generated from RDDL document (http://www.rddl.org/-->
xmlns:rddl="http://www.rddl.org/"
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"/>

So please disambiguate the term 'RDDL' more clearly, at
least for a little while.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E