Re: I-D ACTION:draft-hendrikx-wallis-urn-nzl-00.txt

On Feb 14, 2005, at 11:16 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> I did not intend it to be scientific.  There were many naming systems
> that predated the Web and many that have been defined since the Web,
> but none of them have succeeded beyond the scope of a limited group
> of people who either were not given a choice or who whose grant
> money was tied to their use.

Noah has reminded me (off-list) that there is at least one other
example that has been successful, namely UUIDs/GUIDs.  There are
definite advantages to completely automated, decentralized naming
systems (e.g., DCE to COM to urn:uuid:) that have no equivalent
in hierarchical URLs, although the urn: prefix does not provide
any value in this case.

....Roy