Re: Significant W3C Confusion over Namespace Meaning and Policy

Tim Bray wrote:

> - Interestingly, I suspect quite a few c14n implementations may have
> missed that one.  I know that my genx implementation misses it, and
> furthermore, the application of Elliotte Rusty Harold's excellent test
> suite failed to detect the bug (or maybe I just missed it, but I don't
> think so).  Anyhow, just maybe it's not too late to go back and fix XML
> C14n.

Both GenX and the test suite only work on complete documents. The
problem only arises when doing document subset canonicalization. this
means you have to have a complete document to start with. GenX doesn't.
It just starts with strings so whatever comes out the other end is fine.

A test suite that did test document subset canonicalization would be
very helpful. It's a shame that C14N and exclusive C4N were allowed to
get out the door without a normative test suite. Later efforts at the
W3C seem to be doing better with this.