Re: Requirement 5

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Just curious:  am I right in guessing that the decision to reserve the
> unqualified names may in part be a reflection of the fact that there were
> no qualified names at the time the XML Rec was published?  There is the
> statement in the original recommendation [1] that:

Even if Namespaces in XML had been stable and integrated into XML 1.0, I
suspect all names beginning with the three letters X, M, and L would
still have been reserved. Remember, "No entity names, PI targets, or
notation names contain any colons."

xml-stylesheet is an obvious example of a processing instruction that
takes advantage of the reserved nature of names beginning with xml, yet
does not use a prefix. Furthermore, the spec that defines xml-stylesheet
postdates Namespaces in XML by about half a year.