RE: Significant W3C Confusion over Namespace Meaning and Policy

John wrote:

> Although I was unaware of this directive in particular,
> I was familiar with what a namespace means according to
> definition, and one aspect of C14N for XML 1.0 assumes
> that further features would be added to a version of XML
> whose namespace had changed.

I'm puzzled how XML base should change it's namespace given
it's the addition of a name into the reserved set of names
beginning with the characters 'x' 'm' 'l' that's at stake.

Following the idea that a change in anything requires a new
namespace would mean conjuring up a new prefix 'y' 'm' 'l'
or going to <?xml version='1.2' ?> which would defeat the
tactical purpose of this otherwise excellent specification.

With 20-20 hindsight the original XML Recommendation could have
been clearer in regard to its own evolution, and prevented c14n
from making the wrong (IMO) 'assumption' wrt to inheritance of
attributes, but it would be more helpful if generic principle
of how XML languages may evolve was set out by the W3C.

Paul