Re: Initial Draft Finding on Principle of Least Power

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:52:31 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org

Least Power draft.  Reported problems and dispositions are:

* Problem:  Elliotte Rusty Harold questions whether SQL is Turing complete
[3] and Jon Hanna points out that at least some versions aren't [4].  He
further points out that some versions explicitly aim to be Turing
complete, and are thus bad examples of a language in which exploitation of
completeness is discouraged [5].   I suspect Elliotte and Jon are right
and that we don't want to use SQL as an example of a Turing-complete "but
don't do that" language .  Change:  added "To Do" list entry to get right
answer and update draft.

* Problem: Roy questions whether PLP was in the 1998 version of Axioms [5]
as claimed or added in 2002.  That document is labeled:  "Date: 1998, last
change: $Date: 2002/01/14 01:51:31 $ "   Change: added To Do entry to
check with Tim.

* Problem: Dan feels it's misleading to list only Tim as editor, since he
hasn't even reviewed the latest text.  Change:  I've added myself as an
editor.  We can always decide to remove me if the the TAG prefers.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/leastPower.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/leastPower-2005-12-20.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Dec/0102.html