Fwd: Re: Registration of media type image/svg+xml

This is a forwarded message
From: MURATA Makoto <murata@hokkaido.email.ne.jp>
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Friday, December 16, 2005, 2:26:53 AM
Subject: Registration of media type image/svg+xml

Chris>    Optional parameters:
Chris>           None
Chris>
Chris>           The encoding of an SVG document shall be determined by the
Chris>           XML encoding declaration. This has identical semantics to the
Chris>           application/xml media type in the case where the charset
Chris>           parameter is omitted, as specified in RFC3023 sections
Chris>           8.9, 8.10 and 8.11.

The W3C TAG finding "Internet Media Type registration, consistency of use"
says:
	We recommend that section 7.1 of [RFC3023] be amended to something like the following:

	The use of the charset parameter, when the charset is reliably
	known and agrees with the encoding declaration, is RECOMMENDED,
	since this information can be used by non-XML processors to
	determine authoritatively the charset of the XML MIME entity.

Chris is behind this TAG finding, and I agree.  Chris and I are
co-editors for RFC 3023 bis.  So, why does thie media type omit
the charset param?  I think that it makes a lot of sense to do
exactly what the W3C TAG finding says.

Cheers,

--
MURATA Makoto <murata@hokkaido.email.ne.jp>