Re: speech grammar spec recommends xsi:schemaLocation [namespaceDocument-8, namespaceState-48]

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 13:22 +0100, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Dan Connolly wrote:
> >I would have thought that
> >
> ><grammar version="1.0"
> >         xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/06/grammar">
> >
> >was sufficient info to ground the document in the web and,
> >among other things, find the standard schema. I would think
> >that schemaLocation was only useful/necessary in case the
> >author meant for the document to match some more constrained
> >schema.
>
> That would require built-in knowledge of the combination of attributes
> above or some way to resolve the information such that a schema can be
> found. Without a centralized registry this would only be possible if the
> namespace name resolves to the schema or a reference to it,

exactly.

>  there isn't
> much agreed upon technology for that,

well, GET works pretty well, either returning a schema directly
or, as you say, a reference to one.

But I agree, people seem to be hesitant
to support it in the case of namespaces and schemas. I'm trying
to figure out _why_.

>  and it's certainly not required by
> the Schema recommendations.

Technically, it's no more or less required by the Schema recommendations
than it is by the HTML Recommendations. Nothing about
violates the letter of the HTML spec.

Somehow, the spirit of the HTML spec is that this is a bad idea,
but it's sort of accepted for namespaces and schemas. I don't understand
why. There's not much reason, that I can see, for the web of namespaces
and schemas to be any less available-on-the-web than the web of ordinary
hypertext documents. Granted, the normal handling of a document doesn't
usually involve dereferencing the namespace URI, while the normal
handling of and HTML link does... following namespace pointers is
more of a debugging/view-source-time thing to do, but it's still darned
useful to be able to use them as pointers rather than having to look
them up some other way.

> >Also sent a comment because the namespace document says
> >"This namespace may change without notice."
> >speech grammar namespace document gives misleading change policy
> >http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-voice/2005OctDec/0075.html
>
> The note is concerned with changing the namespace, the policy you cite
> there is mostly concerned with namespace names and namespace URIs, I'm
> not sure a namespace and its name are interchangable concepts.

I can only agree that the terminology makes this discussion awkward.

It made our discussion of namespaceState-48 quite awkward this week.

"(I don't care a whole lot which terminology we pick, but please let's
pick.)"
  -- http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2005/12/13-tagmem-minutes#item03

> The policy does attempt to talk about stability, but the text does not
> really make much sense to me, and does not seem to reflect reality very
> well. Issues with the current policy were raised during the xml:id
> review; it seems the policy has not been revised since.

Quite; there's an outstanding action on that...

TBL to provide a draft of new namespace policy doc
(http://www.w3.org/1999/10/nsuri) and start discussion on www-tag [8 Mar
05] -- in progress 30 Aug
 -- http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2005/03/action-summary.html

(we don't seem to be keeping the issues list up to date
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html?type=1#nameSpaceState-48 )

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E