Re: IRIEverywhere-27

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> As XML and most formats based on XML allow use of non-Unicode encodings,
> allowing IRIs in such formats would make the formats inconsistent with
> the architectural requirements set forth in the reference processing
> model http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-charmod-20050215/#sec-RefProcModel
> and http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-charmod-20050215/#C014 in particular.

Strings in XML documents are in the UCS. They may be encoded in
encodings that do not directly handle the full UCS, using character
entities as necessary, but that is a matter already handled by XML.

When an IRI is contained in an XML document it is the UCS string
conveyed by the XML, not the other-wise encoded string that is an
artefact of the XML document's encoding, that is the IRI, as has always
been the case with URIs (and in HTML documents back when we talked of
URLs rather than URIs).

Encoding is irrelevant.