Fwd: Problem with IANA MIME media types registry

This is a forwarded message
From: Bruce Lilly <blilly@erols.com>
To: webmaster@iana.org
Date: Sunday, December 11, 2005, 3:39:58 PM
Subject: Problem with IANA MIME media types registry

[CC'd to IETF discussion list and ietf-types discussion list]

Hello,

Recent changes to the page at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/index.html
accessed via the link from the IANA Assigned numbers page
http://www.iana.org/numbers.html#M
have rendered the registry of assigned media types useless.
Prior to the recent change, the media types registry listed
the assigned MIME top-level media types, viz. application, audio,
image, message, model, multipart, text, and video.  Since the
change, only the application top-level type is listed (audio, image,
message, model, multipart, text, and video have vanished without
a trace) and superfluous repetition of the application subtypes
listed in
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application
has appeared (these of course are not top-level media types).

Could you please investigate what has gone awry and regenerate
a page that provides top-level media types.

Forwarded because my earlier assertion that things were fine now they
had stable URIs for media types seems to be premature. What was formerly
under application has now moved up a level and the rest has disappeared.
Or rather, become unlinked. For example
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/image/
is still there, just not linked anywhere.

I suspect its just an update glitch, but anyway....

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG