Re: [schemeProtocols-49] New draft of proposed "URI Schemes and Web Protocols" Finding

On Nov 30, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Larry Masinter wrote:
> Well, let's try to get down to the issue rather than talk about
> the wording.
>
> I disagree, fairly profoundly, with "4.3.1 R7. Try any protocol
> for any resource", as stated.

I don't find it appealing either.

>  That's a Humpty-Dumpty rule, as if
> you were saying "In English, any word can mean whatever you want
> it to mean".
>
> I think the meaning of any URI that starts with "http://host/path" must
> be "use the HTTP protocol to connect to 'host' and send it 'path'",
> because that's the definition of the "http" URI scheme.

I think that's a little too strong. Here's a rule that I think I
subscribe to:

  If you can access a resource via HTTP, then it has a name that starts
with http:

and

  If it has a name that starts with http://..., then you may use HTTP to
access it.