Re: [Fwd: RE: "information resource"]

Le 16 oct. 2004, à 17:27, Harry Halpin a écrit :
> I have no problem per se with that, but just am pointing out that some
> of
> the reasons people are looking into ideas such as "information
> resource" are because problems of authority and representation
> are a lot trickier off the Web than on the Web, or when the two
> intermix
> such as in the Semantic Web, where we have Web-statements about things
> off the Web.

Yes agreed on that. In a sense, people are trying to formalize things
which are deep in the notion of expression and conceptualization of
things… AND ideas.

> I'm going to note that you seem to agree with me that the medical
> record
> being modified is not just a representation of the same resource,
> but a resource in its own right.

hehe :)
	"Exercices de Style" - Raymond Queneau is an interesting case.

Just a reminder for people who don't know it. A French writer has
created a story, very short and completely fictional. He has written
exactly the same story using different styles, different constraints,
etc. So at the start, there's no real object, it's completly fictional,
but reading it we all have one (different) idea of what it means. On
top of that, because Raymond Queneau has written it in many different
ways, there are many ways of having the same fictional ideas.

What's the information resource in this case?
What's the real object?

Is it necessary to define a physical existence for things designed by
"Information resource"?

To come back to the bad metaphor of the dog.

Dog with a broken leg...
	-> Medical record of a dog saying "dog with a broken leg"
		-> using the record to create a dog with a broken leg

Is it the same dog? no. One is alive, the other one no. Does it change
the interpretation of the so-called "Information Resource". It depends
on the context. All is a question of context, not of existence of
things by themselves.

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***