Re: Draft minutes TAG f2f 6 Oct 2004

On Thursday, October 7, 2004, 10:10:47 AM, Patrick wrote:

PSnc> Hi folks,

PSnc> One comments on the minutes of your meeting.

PSnc> DanC suggests:

PSnc> [
PSnc> Dan: One difference occured to me, if you can get hold of the
PSnc> resource itself for commercial purposes can the resource be
PSnc> duplicated, or consumed, bu looking at it so therefore a movie,
PSnc> donloaded anfd not paid for is an info resource while the table
PSnc> is not because looking at the table did not consume it
PSnc> ]

PSnc> Firstly: would it be fair to recast this as "an information
PSnc> resource is any resource that might fall within the scope
PSnc> of copyright law"? That sounds like a useful criteria for
PSnc> determining (potential/probable) membership in the class
PSnc> of "information resources" -- though this could (should)
PSnc> simply be captured in an RDF schema that folks can use to
PSnc> classify their resources as they see fit.

Norm made a similar half proposal that an Info Resource was one to which
Intellectual Property applied. It was minuted, but he withdrew the
suggestion and it was not further discussed.

PSnc> Secondly: I don't think the issue has ever been that folks are
PSnc> particularly confused about what TimBL means by "information resource",

Oh yes they have been :)

PSnc> but rather whether the set of web-accessible resources should be
PSnc> constrained to be equivalent to the set of "information resources"

No, that isn't a good constraint to adopt.

PSnc> per TimBLs definition. The above test helps to clarify the
PSnc> nature of the membership of "information resources" (per TimBLs
PSnc> definition) but does not address the question of whether that class
PSnc> should be equivalent to the class of web-accessible resources.

You would see in the minutes that I proposed a half test; if an resource
can be interacted with by exchanging representations then it is a Web
Resource; if it cannot be interacted with then you don't know.

PSnc> 2. In the discussion regarding Claud Shannon's work, TimBL
PSnc> states that he uses the term "information resource" in the
PSnc> same way as Claud Shannon, though in the referenced materials
PSnc> Claud Shannon appears to only use the term "information source"
PSnc> (not resource) and I would expect that there is a singificant
PSnc> distinction there (such that if the distinction is lost, much
PSnc> confusion could arise). Every source may be a kind of resource,
PSnc> but not every resource may be a kind of source.

The referenced resource was just a quick real-time fact check and not
intended to be a definitive summarising of Claude Shannon's work.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group