Re: referendum on httpRange-14 (was RE: "information resource")

On Oct 29, 2004, at 5:23, Stuart Williams wrote:
>    data:text/plain,some%20percent%20escaped%20literal%20value

You'd need to call out a specific syntax -- ie authorize the parser to
construe the text as a literal.

data:application/n3-literal;2.0

or
data:application/python-literal;2.0

for example.  You aren't identifying a piece of text, you are
identifying (in this case) an floating point number.  So
application/rdf+n3 wouldn't work either, as that would imply an n3
document grammar.

cwm has some code to do that on output, just to allow a literal object
to return something for the uriref() function.  It doesn't treat data:
URIs specially when  it sees them, though. But I guess it would make
sense.  Give a certain symmetry to the situation.

Yes, there were constraints on what you can do with literals from
reasoning in OWL, just as there are constraints that you can't for
example have a datatype property be an inverse functional property
(like social security number is supposed to be).  But I don't believe
it is the place of the RDF layer to try to enforce these things.
datatype IFPs are really useful in other systems  (e.g. database keys)
as are literals as subjects.

> Seems a bit ugly... and has probably been suggested before.

Sometimes the effort of digging up the reams of discussion on this
point becomes hard. It may be possible in this case.M