Re: 3023 update (was Re: Agenda TAG Telcon: 8th Nov 2004)

On Monday, November 22, 2004, 1:23:05 PM, David wrote:

DC> That said, what the browsers actually do with #foo in the case of
DC> arbitrary XML served as application/xml styled with XSL via the
DC> xml-stylesheet pi is interpret the fragid in the (x)html that is
DC> generated internally by the stylseet, not as an identifier in the XML
DC> that is actually served. So even here (if one wanted to standardise
DC> currently implemented behaviour) a pure XML xpointer based fragid syntax
DC> wouldn't really help...

That is a very good point, which I  isolated to comment on so it doesn't
get lost. Its one instance of a processing pipeline; the content as
served has one media type, but then processing (xslt, xinclude,
whatever) happens to it so that the displayed resource is of another
media type.

There are known problems where the type of the derived resource is
assumed by the client (eg in WinIE, where anything created by XSLT is
assumed to be text/html) but equally, its not clear how to declare the
type of the derived resource. Not how to address it - link into it, etc.
Is it a resource, since it does not have a URI? Is it perhaps a
secondary resource?

This has knock-on effects on various TAG findings.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group