Re: 3023 update (was Re: Agenda TAG Telcon: 8th Nov 2004)

On Nov 19, 2004, at 4:13 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> You miss that this has an impact on general purpose XML processing,
> fragment identifiers are highly relevant to XML Linking for which
> an often cited use case is link recognition in unknown XML formats
> for link checkers and search engines.

No.  In all cases of which I'm aware, data on the web that's served as
*/xml is a symptom of a bug, and it is not OK for agents, web robots or
any other kind, to infer #fragid rules.

On the other hand, I could be wrong.  If there is a good use case for
serving something as */xml and expecting intelligent behavior with
respect to #fragid's, let's hear it.

To be clear, it is my belief that xpointer does not exist for use with
*/xml, but rather as an optional facility for people who are defining
XML-based languages, to use or not as they please. -Tim