Re: WebArch print CSS changes

On Tuesday, November 2, 2004, 11:40:13 PM, Norman wrote:

NW> The CSS used in the WebArch document to make the constraints,
NW> principles, good practices, and the story stand out exercise a bug in
NW> IE's support for printing. It seems sort of rude to publish a document
NW> we know some large percentage of the world can't print properly.

I would rather give them a PDF to print. We all know what the PDF acronym
expands to ;-)

NW> I did a little digging and I've changed the CSS that's used by the
NW> editor's copy of the document:

NW>   http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/webarch/Overview.html

NW> It's unchanged on the screen, but it prints correctly in any browser,
NW> including IE.

NW> The price we pay for this fix is that the printed rendering isn't as
NW> sophisticated as the online rendering. I think I can pay that price
NW> and sleep comfortably at night. [snide comments about paying a higher
NW> price already on another issue deleted--ed.]

Rather than giving a lower quality result for users of more compliant
browsers (Mac/IE, Firefox, Safari, Opera, Konqueror) and for
print-specific CSS engines (Prince, Acrobat Web Capture), I would have
preferred to shield the print css from poor implementations. This can be
easily done by using child selectors, which Win/IE does not support.

NW> Please give it a whirl and report your experiences.

NW>                                         Be seeing you,
NW>                                           norm

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group