From: Elliotte Rusty Harold [mailto:elharo@metalab.unc.edu]
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 12:30 PM
To: Champion, Mike; www-tag@w3.org
Subject: Re: Action item on syntax-based interoperability

At 11:23 AM -0400 10/23/03, Champion, Mike wrote:

>Web-related tools such as DOM, SOAP, Xinclude, etc.  How about XSLT?
>It is most definitely an important part of the Web as I understand the
>term, but most definitely not defined at the level of concrete syntax.

I like XSLT, but is it it a coincidence that XSLT in general is not
exchanged on the Web today? Instead it is processed locally on the
server side. In practice, XSLT is as or more unreliable when
delivered to clients than JavaScript and DOM. I used to think this
was purely because of bad implementations, but now I'm not so sure.
Perhaps the problems that plague client side XSLT are endemic to any
effort to exchange a data model instead of syntax.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu