RE: Action item on syntax-based interoperability

________________________________

From: www-tag-request@w3.org on behalf of Tim Bray
Sent: Fri 10/24/2003 4:25 PM
To: Michael Champion
Cc: www-tag@w3.org
Subject: Re: Action item on syntax-based interoperability

 When I'm talking from Antarctica's Visual Net
server to a smart client or from Ongoing's editing system to its
publication system (which often are on two different computers) I want
to interoperate based on XML syntax.

[Dare Obasanjo] HTML is the primary language of the Web, not XML. How does your position on syntax based interoperability take into account data model based technologies web technologies that compliment HTML like CSS & DOM?

XQuery is being developed
at the W3C as an accident of history "because that's where XML stuff
gets done".  So I just don't think that being careful to bless XQuery
and friends is really a design goal for the Webarch document.

[Dare Obasanjo] Agree 100%.

Take out the phrases "to the Web" and "on the Web" and I'm with you.
Let's assume all of what you say is true, but what is Web-specific
about XQuery & friends aside from the fact that it's being done at the
W3C?  I'm not asking rhetorically, my perception of XQuery may be
incorrect.

[Dare Obasanjo] From what I've seen the Web specific aspect of XQuery is that input could come from the Web via functions like fn:doc() but that's about it and the fact that it is being developed under the auspics of the W3C.