RE: Action item on syntax-based interoperability

At 9:07 AM -0700 10/23/03, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
>You confuse interoperating data models with interoperating at the
>API level. The only way things like CSS work is if data models are
>being shared across browsers not just whether browsers can recognize
>the CSS syntax. The main problem with interoperability with both the
>XML and HTML DOMs is that the core definitions are so lacking in
>functionality that various parties (both open source and proprietary
>software vendors) have seen fit to embrace and extend them ( I
>believe your XOM is an example of this).

XOM neither embraces or extends the DOM. It replaces it. I would have
a lot less problem with Microsoft's XML APIs if Microsoft would stop
pretending these were DOM, and instead call them something else.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu