URI schemes and media types (was Re: Review of Oct. 27 webarch

Hey,

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:00:52AM -0500, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> > ====== 2.3 URI Schemes ==============
> >
> > 1st para last sentence s/specifies/may specify/ (some are deliberately
> > silent)
> >
> > "Deployed software is more likely to handle the introduction of a new
> > media type than the introduction of a new URI scheme"  I used to think
> > so, but this is actually true?
>
> We have been wrestling with this statement for a while. I believe
> DanC is not satisfied with the rationale in this section. I also believe
> Roy is not convinced that it's true.

What about this as a replacement?

"If an agent encounters an unknown URI scheme, it is unable to
dereference the URI to retrieve a representation.  Media types,
even unrecognized ones, are encountered *after* a representation has
been retrieved.  This provides the agent the opportunity to save the
representation to disk, to ask the user (if any) to choose an
application to process the representation, or in general, simply to
use information available in the representation to make forward
progress."

Mark.