Re: Talked to the xml.gov people

Michael Mealling wrote:

>  Here's the key
> difference: if I detect some non-persistent behavior from
> 'urn:isbn:123456-87' then I know based on the scheme that it wasn't my
> error to have assumed the name was persistent.

How do you get consistent "behaviour" from a string? Identifiers don't
have behaviours. They are just lookup keys. If the thing that is looked
up is deleted then you get the equivalent of a 404 no matter what the
scheme. Arguably, this could be correct behaviour regardless of the scheme.

Could you give an example of code that would be written differently
based on whether the scheme is "urn" or "http" and would have better
behaviour than if the scheme is just always "http"?

  Paul Prescod