Re: Draft TAG finding available: Client handling of MIME headers

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@apache.org>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 13:46:48 -0700
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

> You make that sound as if persisting type information supplied by a
> client
> is incompatible to what the server does today -- and I think this is
> not the
> case. Apache/moddav very well could continue to do what it does today,
> yet
> persist additional content type data that was sent by the client in
> it's DAV
> store.

No, what I said is that assuming webdav is the sole source of such
information is wrong.  The server config files are just as authoritative
as an individual PUT request.  If the server config says that a filter
is applied or metadata assigned based on the storage file name, then
that is exactly what the server will do.

> If a client PUTs a UTF-8 encoded XML document and properly declares
> both
> type and encoding, but a subsequent GET returns different (and wrong!)
> information this really smells like a bug, not a feature.

What the server should do is reject the PUT if the metadata is
inconsistent with its configuration.  Whether or not mod_dav will do
that any time soon depends a great deal on whether or not webdav clients
ever get around to implementing according to the specification rather
than according to whatever Microsoft feels like releasing.  When that
happens, folks concerned about metadata consistency will send in the
patches required to have mod_dav maintain that consistency.

....Roy