Re: Comment on xmlIDsemantics32

On Saturday, June 14, 2003, 8:24:47 PM, Dare wrote:

DO> I can think of several others, here's one

DO>  http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#key-vn

DO> In fact the entire "What's the Problem" section seems
DO> innappropriate when taken within the context of the entire XML
DO> family of technologies instead of just the XML 1.0 recommendation.

Although the original question is framed in terms of 'when there is no
DTD/DTD is not fetched'.

DO> For example the statement below is false when it comes to W3C XML
DO> Schema

DO> "Validation and typing are separable but often conflated concepts.
DO> IDness is a consequence of parsing a DTD, not of validation."

The first statement is not false, but I agree that XML Schema perpetuates
the conflation. I agree that the second statement should have "In XML
1.0" prepended.

> Throughout this specification, [Definition:] the word valid and its
> derivatives are used to refer to clause 1 above, the determination
> of local schema-validity.

> Throughout this specification, [Definition:] the word assessment is
> used to refer to the overall process of local validation,
> schema-validity assessment and infoset augmentation.

The use of schema purely for infoset augmentation without any
validation does not seem to be directly addressed.