TAG telecon, information resources

From: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:24:31 +0100
To: www-tag@w3.org, pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>

I just read through the 28 July minutes [1], and a couple of points came
through to me, something like:

(1) An "information resource" is a one that returns a representation when
one does a GET on its URI.

(2) The exact nature of a resource is unknowable, in the sense that it's
not possible to fix a single denotation,  but for an information resource
it is circumscribed by understanding the things that GET returns as
representations.  This, I think, is the basis of shared understanding in
today's (pre semantic) Web.  The more different representations there are,
the more precisely we might be able to pin down the underlying resource
(but never completely).

#g
--

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Jul/0378.html