Re: Information resources

Dan Connolly wrote:

>> Other resources named
>>by URIs may exist entirely apart from the Web.
>

> Hmm... that seems contradictory; I'd prefer to leave
> "entirely apart from the Web" out of it...

Actually, how about "may exist independently of the Web".  I.e. if the
Web goes away, so does http://www.tbray.org/misc/Tim, but the ISBN
doesn't, nor would the person identified by foaf#Dan.

> Hmm... I thought what distinguished information resources from
> resources in general is that only information resources have
> representations (in the webarch sense).

I totally disagree.  My examples include the RDF namespace and the FOAF
thing, both of which have representations, and in fact there are systems
that will take that urn:isbn: thing and give you something useful.  I
can't imagine anything in the universe for which you could decree "there
can be no representations".

An  information resource is something that is primarily information.
That's all (I think). -Tim