Re: What a URI means, was Re: erratum Re: resources and URIs

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:41:02 +0100
To: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@apache.org>
Cc: "Jonathan Borden" <jonathan@openhealth.org>, www-tag@w3.org

At 15:32 27/07/03 -0500, pat hayes wrote:
>>Claiming that the URI cannot
>>identify both the conceptual mapping and the real thing outside
>>the information system is equivalent to claiming that your
>>social security number cannot be used to identify anything other
>>than your social security account.
>
>OK, point taken: so the URI can be ambiguous. I agree names can be
>ambiguous in this sense; they can have more than one possible
>meaning/referent. ...

Is this really true?  If a social security number "identifies" a social
security account (and nothing else), it can still be used to make reference
to a person in a clause of the form "the person whose social security
account is identified by social security number xxxx".   This doesn't seem
like ambiguity to me, but a flexibility of language to express related ideas.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>