Re: resources and URIs

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:23:24 +1000 (EST)
To: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

> I agree that is important and useful and
> hopefully will be possible one way or another.
> However I think we need both data and metadata.

Yes, however will that metadata be about *resources* as with RDF, or about
*representations* as with HTML <meta> tags and ALT attributes and embedded
JPEG/PNG metadata and so on?

> Mostly the SW wants to use URIs with fragIDs (ie
> the aa:bb#cc thingies) to denote other things
> than documents altogether. Maybe this is
> consistent with what you are saying, I'm not sure
> what it means to say what a fragID refers to all
> by itself.

Sorry, I did not say that clearly. I meant that URI+fragID is no longer a
URI, it is a new syntactic construct (URI ref) which acts as a shorthand
for a URI plus some additional locator that operates on representations.

Using this construct to denote something other than a fragment of a
representation available at a particular URI seems harmful, and is
certainly underspecified.

Best regards,

Michael

--