Re: resources and URIs

From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:45:35 -0500
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Cc: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, Michael Mealling <michael@neonym.net>, www-tag@w3.org

>pat hayes wrote:
>
>>Well, I think that to deny it would be a dangerous step. although
>>foolish might be better. Look, to deny this would be to say that
>>things don't exist until they are given a URI... ah, but now I read
>>on ....
>
>They don't exist on the Web till they have a URI.  What's
>controversial about that?

Well, maybe nothing.  What does 'exist on the Web' mean? What is the
difference between "exists" and "exists on the Web" ? Are these
related in any way? I guess I find it odd to talk of something being
brought into (any kind of) existence by something that happens on the
Web.

I take existence to mean actual existence, right? Being something in
the actual world, as in "Sherlock Holmes does not exist".

Pat

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell