Re: "On the Web" vs "On the Semantic Web" (was Re: resources and URIs)

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:49:23 +0300
To: "Bullard, Claude L \(Len\)" <clbullar@ingr.com>, "ext Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org>
Cc: "'Michael Mealling'" <michael@neonym.net>, <www-tag@w3.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "ext Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org>
To: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
Cc: "'Michael Mealling'" <michael@neonym.net>; <www-tag@w3.org>
Sent: 17 July, 2003 22:51
Subject: Re: "On the Web" vs "On the Semantic Web" (was Re: resources and
URIs)

> > You make it harder than it has to be.
>
> All I'm saying is: when it comes to building the Semantic Web, it
> seems useful to know or be able to find out easily which URIs denote
> response points.  For the others it's nice to be able to find an
> associated response point which is in some sense authoritative.

You can. Use URIQA to obtain the authoritative description
and see if the resource in question is rdf:type webarch:WebResource.

If it is, its URI should be resolvable to a representation.

If it isn't so specified, you can't be sure.

> There are many useful categories of URIs, just as there are many
> useful categories of almost anything.

Hmmm... if the principle of URI opaqueness is to be
taken seriously, then while there are different URI schemes,
there are no URI categories visible to semantic web
applications.

> > meaning is always dependent
> > on the system of which that operation is a
> > functional member.
>
> Then there is no interoperability, no communication between systems.

If the systems in question are the Web and the Semantic Web,
then there would be interoperability, individual servers
being seen as subcomponents of those larger systems, not
systems in isolation.

Patrick