RE: Some comments on 27 June 2003 Web Arch WD

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 11:26, David Orchard wrote:
> 1. We regularly use the phrase "on the web" in our document.

True, but we seem to use the phrase in the ordinary English sense,
relative to the term 'Web', which is defined, effectively, by the whole
document.

(it would be nice to have an anchor
ala http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#def-agent aka
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-webarch-20030627/#def-agent
for the introductory use of the term, i.e.
"The World Wide Web (or, Web) is a networked information ...)

>   It should be
> defined to be more complete.

Repeating your conclusion doesn't make it more convincing.
I'm asking for the argument behind it.

> 2. We have lots of other things in our document that we should cut if we
> want to apply just that metric.

Do we? For example?

> 3. Common sense to me says that Web Arch v1.0 should define what on the web
> means.

To my satisfaction, it does. That is: the sum total of the document
defines what we mean by 'Web' and ordinary English phrases built
from it, such as 'on the Web'.

> 4. Other groups within the W3C, at least ws-arch and xmlp, use this phrase.
> It would be good to have a normative definition so that I don't have to yet
> again say what I think it means.

Perhaps a pointer to such a discussion would help me understand what
you're after.

>   Part of the reason for doing web arch is
> so that we have consensus on what things mean, rather than single opinions
> without any consensus opinion.

Well, yes, of course. But I don't see what you're after that's
different from what we've got.

> 5. I don't think this is huge scope creep that will cause us to slip our
> schedule.

As I see it, it's not a scope creep at all... the document
adequately defines its terms as it is.