Re: Invalid JAR URIs

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 02:05:10 +0200
To: (wrong string) Óra <dehora@eircom.net>
CC: www-tag@w3.org

On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, 11:55:03 PM, Bill wrote:

Bdh> Chris Lilley wrote:

>> I am trying to find something more constructive to suggest than 'its
>> broken, stop doing that'. This functionality appears to be in
>> widespread deployment.

Bdh> 'Useless outside the JDK' comes to mind.

Sure, but if its not a URI then its useless inside the JDK as well.

Bdh> You'd think 'that's not a URL, sorry' should be sufficient,

Not really. 'Thats wrong and you don't need the functionality' is
nowhere near as convincing as 'thats wrong and here is a
standards-compliant and more interoperable way to get the
functionality.

Besides, it came up in an outside the JDK context.

Bdh> but Java hasn't had a great track record re URLs/URIs.

Details welcome.