Re: Options for dealing with IDs

At 9:23 PM +0100 1/10/03, Chris Lilley wrote:

>PG> XML could pick up the #ALL capability defined five years ago in the
>PG> SGML TC2 [1] that allows a declaration of the form:
>
>PG>   <!ATTLIST #ALL id ID #IMPLIED>
>
>PG> in the internal subset to add an 'id' attribute of type ID to
>all elements.
>
>Great suggestion. That would make the 'always declare IDs in the
>internal subset' option tractable, for common cases. Currently all XML
>processors are require to read the internal subset, yes?

Yes, and currently every single one of them would report a
well-formedness error on encountering this. I can't see the need here
as being worthy of violating XML 1.0 notions of well-formedness. This
is a much more breaking change than any of the other proposals, al of
which work within current XML syntax and at worse slightly change the
definition of validity.

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |