Re: Options for dealing with IDs

At 21:27 07/01/2003 +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:

[...]

>TB> 2. What's the existence proof of a deployed vocabulary that has an ID
>TB> attribute that's not named "id"?
>
>RDF/XML - its called ID.

I'm not sure that's quite right.  Dave, would you like to check I've got
this right.

In what I say here, I'm referring to RDFCore's clarification of the RDF
specs which are still at the WD stage.

Whilst RDFCore is encouraging the use of qualified attribues, i.e rdf:ID,
the attribute ID is allowed on elements in the rdf namespace.  Thus

   <rdf:Description ID="foo">

is legal.  However, that ID attribute is not an ID in the DTD sense of the
word.  I believe this was a decision taken by the original RDF WG on the
grounds that an element can have other similar ID attributes such as
bagID.  Hmm, thinking about it, I wonder if that is why they named it ID
instead of id.

Please note also, that in the case of a document with mime-type rdf+xml,
the fragment identifier #foo does *NOT* denote the element with ID
attribute whose value is "foo".  It denotes the resource described by that
element.

Brian